Thursday, August 19, 2010

Announcing the arrival of Samuel Michael!

Nathan and I welcomed our baby boy, Samuel Michael Knutson, on Friday, August 13th!   He is a VERY healthy baby boy, for which we are eternally grateful.  It's hard not to feel completely overwhelmed with gratitude for all of the blessings God has given to our family.

Stats
Birthday - August 13, 2010 at 9:13 a.m.
Weight - 10 lbs, 15 oz
Length - 24+" (they didn't have a tape measure long enough to figure out how long he actually was)

Birth Story
Starting on Thursday, the 12th...
10 a.m. - I drop off Madeline and Henry at my dad and step-mom's house.  We were on the list to get induced the next day on Friday, so it was nice to get them settled in without being in any sort of mad dash.
4 p.m.  Kid-free, labor-free.  Last minute preps in anticipation of baby delivery the next day.
8:30 p.m. Big storm moves in....  I had gone into labor with Madeline after a big storm, so I had been getting my hopes up the past 2 weeks that each storm was going to put me into labor.  THIS was finally the storm.  Or else it was just time all on its own and it was just a coincidence.  Some contractions start up. 
10 p.m.  Going to bed is hopeless. Having some contractions about 15 minutes apart.  And I'm hot in my room.  I tell Nathan that I'm going to the basement to sleep, but didn't want to keep him up, too, so didn't tell him I was in labor yet. 
11 p.m. Contractions are steadily 10 minutes apart.  I read a random romantic novel in between to keep from going crazy.
2 a.m.  HUGE thunder rips outside.  Suddenly, one contraction stays for about 10 minutes - with slight variance on intensity throughout.  Things have changed.  Next contraction is 3 minutes apart.  I go upstairs and wake up Nathan.
2:10 a.m.  Trying to get through to Nathan that I'm in labor.  Might have been a bad strategy not to fill him in on the progress up to this point.  Ask him to track time - are they really staying at 3 minutes apart?  Yes.  Okay. Let's call the hospital.  They say get in the car and come in right now.
2:15 a.m.  Mad dash.  2 showers, grab the bag, get in the car.  Still explaining to Nathan that labor is really intense.
2:30 a.m.  Nathan drives to hospital in pouring rain.  He's stressing because he didn't properly check out the route because we know there is construction.
3 a.m.  Arrive at the hospital.  I ask for epidural to start IMMEDIATELY.  Contractions are 2-3 minutes apart and lasting 1+ minutes each.  They check me out and I'm 5 cm already.  They immediately admit me and get an IV drip, which is the prerequisite for the epidural.   Nathan and I celebrate that we don't have to "walk the halls" trying/waiting/hoping to get to the magic 4 cm mark that is required for the hospital admission and epidural.
4:15 a.m.  I'm ready for the epidural.  Waiting for the anesthesiologist. (spelling?)
5 a.m. Yeah! Epidural is in.  Time to rest.  Labor progressing nicely on its own.  No pitocin needed.
7 a.m.  Checked out and I'm at 9.5 cm. 
9 a.m. Ready to push.  Took only about 3 contractions and 10 minutes.
9:13 a.m. Samuel Michael is born!!  He was SO ANGRY and cried so hard.  Poor guy.  What trauma!  But thankfully, he also has checked out to be very healthy.  Our prayers have been answered in his arrival...

All in all, the labor and delivery was as perfect as I could have hoped for.  Also, my recovery has been easier this time around than it was for Henry, for which I'm obviously grateful.

His First Week
Nathan and I prefer to get out of the hospital as soon as we can, preferring the comforts of our home over the hospital. So, we left around noon on Saturday.  Sam has been a good baby so far.  He's eating, sleeping, and pooping just like he's supposed to.  Only thing we're working through is that he prefers sleeping in our arms, especially at night, and that obviously isn't going to fly.  But last night he slept all swaddled up in his crib so we had our first successful night of having a Sam-free bed.  The stinker!

Madeline and Henry stayed with my dad and step-mom until Monday morning, so we had a few days at home with just Sam, which was great - I got more time to recover and rest and we were able to get to know Sam better 1-1.  The kids arrived on Monday morning and just smothered Sam with love.  They affectionately fight over who gets to sit next to the baby and who gets to hold the baby.  They are just obsessed with trying to figure him out.  They only had 1 day with us at home, and then they were off to Grandma and Grandpa Knutson's on Tuesday.  They'll be back on Sunday.  So, we've really had 10 days or so without Madeline and Henry underfoot - a great way to ease into the reality of having 3 kids!  I know they'll be great helpers, but it will also be very busy.  I miss them terribly, but also am glad they get to spend so much quality time with their grandparents.

Random Thoughts
  • Why in the world did I buy a CASE of newborn diapers?  Definitely do not fit our big baby boy.  On to size 1 in his first week.
  • How do I answer Henry's question:  "Mommy, do you still have a baby in your tummy?"    No, honey, mommy just has a baby gut!
  • We're a family of 5!  This is it!  No more babies.  Never going to be pregnant again.  And I'm okay with that.  I love having the privilege of being pregnant and also feeling the baby kick.  But, it's hard on your body, it's not comfortable at all, and you have to make alot of sacrifices both during the pregnancy and afterwards while you nurse.  And I LOVE the 3 kids I have.  So, it's time to be done.  It's just kind of strange to be in the phase where you are done with the baby stuff and are ready to downsize already when you've been accumulating baby stuff for the past 5 years.
  •  It's exciting to realize that the number of major changes in our lives are over and we can just focus on the 5 of us.  I think about how our family vacations will be with 1 girl and 2 boys and how Christmas' will be.  I think about how much Madeline and Henry already wrestle - what are Henry and Sam going to do to each other?  And what do we need to do now to prepare for how much food 2 teenage boys will go through?!  It's fun to feel so settled and permanent, if that makes any sense.
  • GOD PROVIDES!  Wow.  His love and generosity overwhelms me.  I couldn't ask for anything more, and I'm going to try my hardest to show Him my love and gratitude in return. 
  • Cute Henry story #1 (and note that he's only been around the baby for 1 full day) - if anyone is holding Sam and he starts to cry, he looks at them and tells them that Sam wants his mommy.  :)
  • Cute Henry story #2 - when Sam was crying, I told him that I needed to feed him.  He goes over to the fridge, opens it, and starts suggesting food... apple sauce?  cheese stick?  yogurt?  banana?  No, Henry.  Thanks for your help, but he only drinks milk.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so great, Becky! I loved reading the post and esp. your random thoughts :o) You truly ARE blessed and I hope to be able to meet your beautiful family one day ! (And I have thought so much about having 2 teenage boys to feed-- let alone 3 if we ever end up with a third!!)

Sjoquist Family said...

Becky thanks for sharing! You amaze me by having the time to put this together.

Z's said...

great play by play BK. congrats again to your adorable family. :)

The Reiter's said...

Congratulations Knuston Family! Finally had a chance to catch up and read through the story of Sam's arrival and your adjustment to it all! Beautiful family!!!!