Wednesday, January 16, 2008

We're in potty training HELL!

I used to think that the "terrible 2s" referred to the temper tantrums. But, now I know that's not true. If that were the case, then they'd be called something different, like the bratty 2s or something. Nope. They are called the "terrible 2s" because of potty training. I HATE this whole process, but I am desperate to get her on the potty and out of diapers. One in diapers is enough...

So, we've been tackling potty training in earnest these past two weeks. With other stages in Madeline's development, I had felt completely prepared. Afterall, I have BOTH "What to expect" books. But, I didn't get the toddler version, because, frankly, who has time. I DID, however, read a brief article on potty training, and these are all of the methods they offered up.
1) Try pull-ups. I HATE pull-ups. Madeline didn't care that she was wet and it just gave her diaper rash. The princesses on the front held her attention for 4 seconds.
2) Try a fancy potty chair. We do have a miniature potty for her, but she just tips over in it. This didn't work either. Okay, so I probably could get a fancy one that lights up and has its own TP roll, but I'm cheap.
3) Buy exciting underwear. I did this one. In fact, I had bought underwear BEFORE she even turned 2 in anticipation of POTTY TRAINING HELL. So, we have piles of Elmo underwear. Problem is that Elmo is sooooooo 7 months ago. We've moved on to Dora and the Princesses. So, the underwear has no power over Madeline.
4) Try rewards. This one is easy. "Madeline, if you go potty, you can have gum/a cookie/candy." Problem is that we give her this stuff anyway when she eats a good supper or because it's Halloween. So, this one is out.
5) Go butt naked. A version of this is what worked for us. I ended up just putting her in underwear and letting her pee all over the place. Fun for both of us.

It's been messy, but she doesn't like wet pants, so technique #5 has worked -- for #1, anyway. Pooping on the potty requires a whole new level of commitment and creativity. Yesterday, we could tell that she needed to go and was trying to do it in her underwear. What ended up working was pure desperation -- I whored out Grandpa:

Becky (on the phone): "Is this Buzz? Buzz Lightyear? I was told that you want to talk to Madeline about going poop on the potty."
Buzz Lightyear (a.k.a. Grandpa Bob): "Oh, yes. This is Buzz. Let me talk to her. Madeline, it's fun to poop on the potty. Buzz wants you to poop on the potty. You NEED to poop on the potty."
Madeline: "I'm scared to poop on the potty."
Becky: "Madeline, if you want to talk to Buzz Lightyear again, then we'll call him, but only after you poop on the potty."

Well, that didn't work... immediately. Later that day, after 3 days of no pooping, Nathan threw her on the potty chair kicking and screaming "I'm scared to poop in the potty." And she did it! She was SO PROUD of herself. And Nathan almost shed a tear when he realized that the poop was so big that it almost clogged the toilet. She told me this morning that she was going to do it again.

So, we hopefully have turned a big corner as far as potty training goes. Wish us luck! And add a comment if you have any advice for us. We'll take all the help we can get!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh I haven't laughed that hard in a while... poor Madeline and the big poop!