Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ireland

Last week, I had the opportunity to meet with another project team at our "sister plant" in Galway, Ireland (in western Ireland). We enjoyed the pubs every night after work, and also managed to get in a great deal of sightseeing on Friday before we left.

I hate to perpetuate stereotypes, but it is quite impressive to see how those Irish guys can put down the pints and still go to work the next day. I tried to keep up with them, but I was not successful. After hearing them make fun of American slang, I have made a resolution to quit saying the words totally and awesome, and will begin using common Irish words, which include brilliant, grand, lovely and sound. I will also make sure that I say "sorry" instead of "excuse me" when I visit there next time, or else I risk them thinking that I just burped or farted. And, finally, I will not ask any Irishmen to "give me a ride," because that has a different connotation in Ireland than it does here. (I'll let you figure it out.) My photo gallery...

Quay Street in Galway (main street with shops) and fish and chips at McDonough's













Cliffs of Moher (these pictures don't do this area justice)














A random little restaurant













A random abandoned castle near the Sky Highway













View from Sky Highway

2 comments:

Frank and Amanda McKeon said...

Thank you so much for your posts!! I have been anxious to see the pics and looks like you had a blast; UGH!! SOOO JEALOUS! :) Just beautiful...I think I will contact someone about buying and rehabbing the abandoned castle. Thanks for sharing!!

Frank and Amanda McKeon said...

Also, I miss my kids...can Madeline do a video for us of her singing or something typically adorable??